Did you know that you can open your garage door manually if the power is out or the opener is not working? It’s actually quite easy to do! In this blog post, we will walk you through the steps of opening your garage door manually. Keep in mind that this process may vary depending on the make and model of your garage door opener.
Why Won’t The Garage Door Open?
Before you try to manually open your garage door, it’s important to identify why the opener is not working. Common reasons for a malfunctioning opener include: a broken torsion spring, worn drive chain, or bent/misaligned track. If any of these are the problem, contact a professional technician to repair your door before attempting to open it manually.
How To Manually Open Garage Door?
1. Check the power source: First and foremost, you need to check if your power source is functioning correctly. If not, then this may be why the opener isn’t working.
2. Release the emergency cord: This can typically be found hanging near the motor unit of your garage door opener. It should have a red handle on it or a rope that needs to be pulled down in order to disengage the openers’ chain or belt drive system.
3. Lift and open the door manually: With the emergency cord engaged, you should now be able to lift up and push back on your garage door until is fully opens on its own. You will likely need someone else’s help to pull open heavier garage doors.
4. Close the door manually: Once you have opened your garage door, you will also need to close it manually. This is done by pulling up on the bottom of the door until it reaches the fully closed position and then releasing your grip. You may need someone else’s help in order to ensure that the door closes properly.
5. Reattach the emergency cord: Finally, make sure to reattach the emergency cord back onto its original location so that your opener can be used again when power returns or if it has been fixed.
By following these steps, you should now know how to open and close your garage door manually in case of a power outage or malfunctioning opener! Just remember safety comes first; always make sure to have someone else with you when attempting these procedures. We hope this blog post was helpful in aiding you in the proper steps of manually opening your garage door!
Homepeer is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here.